Course Description (Fall 2018)
14-session course that helps you discover the assumptions behind the 12 major worldviews that cause either human frustration or human flourishing across the globe. Also, learn why a Christian worldview exposes the failures of the other worldviews and offers great redemptive hope centered on Jesus Christ. Preview the course syllabus. Course charge: $99/person.
Please Note: Meets 9:00 am to 10:00 am Central Time on Mondays. We "meet" via Google+ Hangout. Classes begin September 10, 2018 and conclude December 17, 2018. If you cannot make every class session, each class session is video recorded and posted online within three days after the class session.
- Understand how the concept of "worldview" relates to the search for truth
- Learn the four major functions of worldviews
- Learn a four-step method to analyze and assess worldviews
- Learn how the 12 major worldviews answer the nine major questions that most people ask
- Discover the relationship between worldviews and cultural outcomes
- Discover how to introduce the Gospel of Jesus Christ with your international & domestic neighbors
- Provide reproducible resources (including course slides) that students can use with others
The difference this Course Will Make
- Increases competence when discussing religions and philosophies with students and others
- Develop skills in apologetics and discipleship
- Ready-made materials for international or domestic Bible studies
- Provides highly useful background knowledge for everyone, especially those involved in intercultural ministry and ministry with domestic students from widely varying backgrounds
- Complete set of course materials can be used for instructing students and others on the different philosophies and religions that shape life in the 21st century
What are the Technical Requirements?
- Mac OSX or PC with Windows Vista or Newer
- Internet Connection
- External or built-in web camera
By Taking the course, you will receive:
- Set of 14 slide presentations (PowerPoint)
- Set of 14 one-page study guides
- Supplementary Notes for Comparative Worldviews Course
- Comparative Worldviews Survey tool
- Comparative Worldviews Code sheet
- Comparative Worldviews Chart
- Blanket permission to reproduce these materials with your students
- Campus ministers and others who want to learn how to represent Jesus Christ in a pluralistic world
- Others engaged in cross-cultural witness
- Students in colleges, universities, and seminaries who want to better understand their worldview and others’
- Home schooled students and instructors
Course fee: $99
- Includes all the materials mentioned
- No required textbook
- Refunds are capped at 50% and are available through October 1, 2018.
Bob Osburn has a PhD in international education (University of Minnesota, 2005) where he also is a lecturer in the Department of Organizational Leadership, Policy, and Development. In 1978 he earned his ThM in Christian education at Dallas Theological Seminary. He has spent 33 years working in international student and academic ministry at the University of Minnesota, and successfully launched the 1998 World View for World Healing Conference that promoted the vision for international students engaging the deepest needs of their societies on the basis of a Christian worldview. He is the author of Taming the Beast: Can We Bridle the Culture of Corruption? (2016). He carries on that vision under the auspices of the Wilberforce Academy. He has been married to Susan for 42 years, and is the father of four sons. View Robert Osburn’s Curriculum Vitae or email Bob here.